In order to enable Nearby Notifications on your Android device your device must meet with the following criteria:
- You must be on a version of Google Play Services released after November, 2016. Since this is automatically updated in the background by the Android system, chances are that you are already on it. But you can always verify it on the Google Play Store.
- You must enable Bluetooth and Location (GPS) on your Android device.
Having ensured the above, you should see Nearby notifications (if any beacon is in range) in the following manner:
- In your device’s Settings app --> Google --> Nearby, tap Refresh.
- If there are beacons around you the screen is will populate with a list of links
- You will see a silent notification on the top of your screen on the status bar with the Nearby icon
Note that depending on the speed of the Internet, Nearby notifications take between 10 seconds to 1 minute to appear. You can always learn more about modifying Nearby settings.