Before you go about improving your CTR, make sure you've read these articles first:
Getting Started with Beaconstac
Guidelines and best practices for deploying beacons
How do I turn on Nearby notifications on my Android device?
NearBee: Sending beacon notifications to iPhone users
Important factors to keep in mind:
- Notifications can take at least 1-5 minutes to show up on a user's smart device. This is because of the time the device takes to scan for beacon signals.
- Notifications appear when someone is in the range of a beacon and disappear as soon as they go out of that beacon's range.
- Keeping the above two factors in mind, note that it is not possible to be moving at all times or be in a moving vehicle and expect that users will receive notifications.
- Unless users have their Bluetooth, Location Services and have opted in Google Nearby (for Android) or downloaded the brand app (on iOS devices), they will not receive the beacon notification.
- Google Nearby Notifications policies do not allow any spam, adult content, dangerous or illegal content to be present in the messages. Read What kind of notifications are considered a violation of the Nearby Notification policy? You can find the full policy here.
Now that you this, let's talk about CTR and what factors it depends on.
CTR depends on 2 main factors:
1. Where your beacons are deployed
Are your beacons deployed in a crowded place with a high wait-time or is the footfall insignificant? This is a prime factor that impacts your CTR.
Due to the minimum duration of 1-5 minutes for which users need to be in the range of the beacon, it is highly unlikely that passersby will receive your campaign.
Also, make sure there is a clear line of sight between the beacon and a consumer's smart device.
2. The range of the beacon
Check the range of your beacon you have set. If you have deployed a beacon outside for attracting new customers, but it is not set to its full range, it is possible that you may miss out on potential leads.
The opposite is true in case you want to showcase a particular product. It is best to use a short-range beacon so that only consumers in the vicinity of the product receive the notification.
Read this article to change the range of your beacons: Modifying beacon range and advertising frequency
Set realistic expectations for your CTR based on these factors.
If you are absolutely certain that you should be seeing a higher CTR than you currently are, go through this checklist.
1. Do you stick to the notification character limit?
Sticking to the notification character limit helps customers see a complete message.
2. Do you use engaging content in your 'Title' and 'Description'?
The notification that appears on smartphones and other smart devices only has two crucial bits of information. It is imperative that you write an engaging 'Title' and 'Description.'
Read this blog to understand more about how you can create engaging campaigns: 10 Interesting Ways to Send Beacon-based Proximity Marketing Messages to Customers
3. Are you scheduling campaigns for the right time?
Take a look at the foot traffic at the time you intend to run your campaign. If your store is jam-packed in the evening, run your campaign then as opposed to early mornings when there are very few people.
Read this article how to use the Schedule campaigns: Using Schedules to create timed campaigns
4. Are you following the best beacon deployment strategy for your business?
What works for retail stores may not work for your car dealership. Fine tune your campaign based on what works best for your business or brand.
5. Are you switching up your campaigns?
Rotate your campaigns every now and then to prevent any fatigue from setting in. For instance, use a holiday-themed campaign during the holiday season.
Cycle through this checklist and make sure you follow best practices.
A few more Do's and Don'ts to improve CTR
- Deploy beacons where there is a high wait time like hotel lobbies, queues at retail stores, traffic signals, restaurants, etc.
- Stick to the notification character limit so that users see a complete message.
- Ensure nothing is obstructing the line of sight of the beacon.
- Read the complete Nearby Notification policy to understand what kind of messages may be flagged by Google.
- Expect your CTR to be high just because a lot of people have passed by your store.
- Send out messages that are generic or gimmicky or use nonsensical text.
- Stick to the same message all day every day.